Friday, May 18, 2012

We all Scream For Ice Cream! - and Learning our Multiplication Facts

I know many of you have heard of the Banana Split Math incentive.  I made it more visual for my students and made a chart.  If I would have had more time and/or space I may have gotten more creative on a bulletin board with cut outs of all the toppings, but oh well, something for next year maybe.  One thing that I will remember to do next year is to have the 9's facts closer to the bottom.  I did 0, 1, 10, 5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12.  As they pass each number, a special message appears "GIVE ME MY SPLIT".  For passing each one they earn the following:

0 - spoon
1 - bowl
10 - 1 scoop
5 - 2 scoop
2 - chocolate syrup
3 - caramel syrup
4 - banana
6 - crushed oreo
7 - sprinkles
8 - whip cream
9 - cherries
11 - m & m's
12 - snickers

I know some people are against using food, but I am also incorporating it in with our end of the year party.  Celebrations every now and then are okay.  I think that teaching them good habits, such as treats every now and then are okay is a good thing for them to learn or working hard to reach a goal and then celebrating that, is okay!



1 comment: